05 December 2015

The Palate of Melbourne

Sydney is, of course, pretty awesome with it's great scenic views and amazing performing arts.

We were fortunate to get this view of out of our hotel window...



...not to mention the amazing experiences at the Sydney Opera House for Sleeping Beauty and actually getting to see Sol Gabetta in person take the cello to a new standard of living.


I belatedly had realised that I had tears in my eyes during the cello performance in the gorgeous concert hall, while I had a hard time keeping my breath steady with the overwhelming beauty of the scene sets presented to us in Sleeping Beauty (not to mention the incredible ballet technique we saw).

So yes, Sydney is a truly stunning place to visit, and I'd consider returning for just having a week of their performing arts.

Melbourne, however. Wow. I didn't know Asian food could be so divine. I've had good Asian food. Even great Asian food. It's rare that I feel a massive craving for it though as frankly, it can be not only predictable in the States, but usually on the heavy side of the palate.

Let me put it this way - we were planning a big Asian trip in 2017, and our time in Asia keeps getting extended based on the smorgasbord of cultures and food varieties we are experiencing in Melbourne!

So far, I can only claim (in the order of the photos) the styles of hot pot, ramen, dumplings, and udon, not to mention Thai fusion that was gobbled too fast at Chin Chin to get a photo.


How does one know which one of each type of food is the best? Simply take frequent walks and find out which restaurants have the lines regardless of the time of day .... then show up 15 minutes before the place opens for lunch for a guaranteed first wave of the lines :)



....and best thing of all? There's so much MORE!

Walking down Little Bourke is simply an exercise in options of excellent Asian delights. Doing this requires the removal of any preconceptions as it turns out nothing I've tried so far tastes anything like it does in the States. I knew it would be different, but had no idea it could be that good!

To make matters better, I have a week left of intensive taste testing, not to mentioned surrounded by wine bars, but that will have to be another post :)